If you have a sore jaw that makes it painful to chew, yawn, or open your mouth wide, you may need TMJ treatment in Butte, MT. When your temporomandibular joints (TMJ), which connect your jaw to your skull, become inflamed and irritated, the result is a TMJ disorder (TMD). In addition to jaw pain, you may experience other unpleasant symptoms like headaches.
When you find yourself in such a situation, our dentists can treat your TMJ disorder with a custom mouthguard that:
- Gently shifts your jaw into a position that relieves stress on your TMJ
- Is much more conservative and less costly than other options like altering your bite with restorations like dental crowns
- Prevents TMJ-related headaches and migraines
For more information on TMJ disorders or to schedule a free assessment, call 406-565-4458.
Get A Custom Mouthguard For Effective Relief
You can buy over-the-counter mouthguards to wear while you sleep. But we advise against self-treatment for a TMD, as it can actually make the problem worse. Our dentists use impressions of your teeth and other measurements to ensure a perfect fit for your custom mouthguard. They’ll also work with you to find a model that not only prevents clenching and grinding but positions your jaw to avoid strain on your TMJ, too. With us on the job, you’ll be back to your old self in no time.
Don’t Ignore TMD Symptoms
A painful jaw is the most obvious symptom of a TMD. However, there are others, like those below. If you’re experiencing any of them, it’s best to see our dentists right away. They can determine if you have a TMD and identify underlying complications like teeth grinding. Common TMD symptoms include:
- Swelling on one side of your face, especially around your jaw
- Popping or clicking noise when you open and close your mouth
- Teeth grinding, or bruxism
- Chronic unexplained headaches and earaches
- Difficulty opening and closing your mouth
If you think you might need TMJ treatment in Butte, MT, call Butte Family Dental at 406-565-4458 or . Our office is located near the Highland View Golf Course and the Butte Family YMCA.